As a result of my observations, I thought it completely necessary that these students get some answers (not that they're not getting them from other teachers, but I don't think they understand some of the things they hear). So, I have started an afternoon class on the Book of John. Every Friday we will be looking at 1. Who Jesus is? 2. Where did he come from? 3. Why did he come? and 4. How do we know? I'm following the sermons that Pastor Cam did over the past year in Abu Dhabi. I learned so much from them. I'm really excited about it. I had 7 students sign up in addition to 2 teachers. I might have another 2-3 students show up when they get back from vacation in a week and a half. Please pray for this class. The "hardest" kids to reach are the ones who showed up. I am really believing that God will break down the walls they put up and that they would receive Christ.
I've also been helping out with Chapel worship. They have me playing keys. Now, if you know me, you know all I know is chords! I will be playing until a student steps up. But until then, I'm it on keys. I'm so serving the Youth Group on Friday nights. (I don't leave school until around 10pm on Fridays). I'm helping out with the worship and sermons/discussions. I gave my first talk about the origins of the earth and how we can know that God is creator. It was really good and students received it well. We had very interesting discussions and I was grateful for it.
In other news, I have started to listen to the sermons in Dutch on Sundays. I have not used a translator in a few weeks now and I am understanding the major points of the sermons. I do get some help from Jana. She's very gracious to help me out. (She also gives me my weekly lift to church on the motorcycle....I look forward to that all week)! I'm also reading the Bible, or Bijbel, in Dutch and doing well with it.
I also got my first Bijbel verse in Dutch down: "Mijn zoon, sla acht op mijn woorden, neig uw oor tot mijn uitspraken, laat ze niet wijken uit uw ogen, bewaar ze diep in uw hart." ~ Spreuken 4:20-21 (Proverbs 4:20-21)
I wanted to give a big thank you for those who continue to pray for me, the staff and students and who have graciously sent support. The Lord is good. I've had some hard times in adjusting to my new living arrangements, but other than one or two issues, it's been so easy. God has truly blessed me here and it's so much easier than in the UAE. For those who have sent support, it has been put to good use as I was able to purchase several "expensive" classroom items that were needed. Now, I just wait for them to arrive.
Prayer Requests:
1. For our students to come to know the Lord.
2. For our staff to be a unified front.
3. For staff as we work through some tough situations with parents and their children.
4. For God to be glorified.
5. For my financial situation. I am still in need of a certain consistent amount of support every month. If you would like to contribute, you can email me for more information (teshuwah@gmail.com) In addition, I need to think about getting alternate transportation. I have been riding a bicycle, which I LOVE! However, my knee does not like it. I have tendinitis in both sides of my left knee as well as occasional swelling around the knee cap. It has been swelling up often from the amount of bike riding I do everyday (to and from school, shopping, etc...). It's extremely painful, and on Friday, I could not even walk. I will be looking into another mode of transportation to supplement my bike riding. However, this too, comes at a price.
My student trying to teach me to ride a rip-stick at Youth Group. I never fell, but I will never get on one again. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment