Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sharing the Love of Christ at Christmas

The 7th graders continue their orphanage outreach. The students put together a fundraiser similar to "Operation Christmas." We had red and green hearts with orphans names, gender, age, and a list of items needed. Parents, students and staff took names and filled shoe boxes with these items. My students created their own wrapping paper by painting newspapers. We delivered 45 boxes to the orphanage on Monday the 14th.

The kids were waiting for us. We decorated the eating area with red and green paper link chains. Then, I told them the story of Christmas while a student translated it into Dutch for me.

We gave the kids Christmas cookies that the 8th graders frosted (during Social Studies class...They loved it. Anything to get out of working the last week before break).

Then came what they had been waiting for: the presents. I called out names and my students handed each child a gift. When it was time, they all opened their gifts together. We sang Christmas songs and spent some time with the kids.

I really love this little girl named Sherry. She's 8. She has been on my heart since the first day I met her. I am trying to find out if I can start spending some time with her on Saturdays or Sundays. We will see. Who knows if it will lead to something else.

Today we (students, staff and parents) returned to the orphanage to sing Christmas carols again. The kids were so happy. Sherry was there and she would get so excited to see me....I can't wait until January 18 for our next trip. I might have to go back sooner.





No comments:

Post a Comment