Friday, April 29, 2011

An Adventure to Remember: Jodensavanne and Nieuw Nickerie

I know it's hard to believe, but I finally took a break! I've spent every school break at school working, but it was time to leave Paramaribo.

Last Saturday, I took a little river trip along the Suriname River down to the first Jewish settlement in Suriname: Jodensavanne. It boasts the first synagogue in the Americas. All that's left is ruins of the synagogue and the grave yards. It was a great trip, though.

I recently read "The Cost of Sugar" by Cynthia McLeod. Although, it's historical fiction, once you're at the Jodensavanne it's like stepping into the book, you know the characters "walked" here. There are also a number of names listed on grave markers that appear in the book.

This week my friends and I took a road trip to Nieuw Nickerie. I had been looking forward to this. As many of you know, I taught Suriname history last year, but have never really left Paramaribo. It was fun to see all the geographical features that I taught!

In addition, I LOVE road trips, and this one was especially special because it was with some ladies whom I love dearly. We drove for 4 hours west of Paramaribo, almost making it to the border of Suriname/Guyana. Nieuw Nickerie is the second largest city in Suriname with 13,000 people (Pararmaribo has a population of about 286,000...HUGE difference)! The main industry is rice, and the land looks more like Indiana than a tropical paradise!

Zeedijk: The Atlantic Ocean!

Pretty lilly pads, lotus flowers, and palms line the road.

The Central Market: The Most Happening Place in NW Nickerie

Some memorable phrases from our trip include:

"Goedemorgen, Witte Bonen!!" (Yes, some dude called us "White Beans!!!")

However, we were also called "Refreshing," "Treasures," and "Beautiful Women."

And as always, if words don't boost our egos, surely "Can I have your phone number?" from our Tour Guide at the rice factory, does it.

Other good times:

-Salmon, salmon, and more salmon at the Park Hotel!! (but no absorbent towels and using t-shirts to dry off).

-Off-roading through rice paddies with a station wagon! (Nicole has mad driving skillz)!

-Nicole witnessing to Prakash, a former Hindu, now Christian, who says he won't go to heaven because "I drink too much."

-"Rappin" to Lecrae's "Go Hard or Go Home"...very loudly!

-Unnamed individuals using the roadside bushes, but not even being able to hide in the bushes because they grew in the river. *Note: By the grace of God, not one car passed us the whole time we were stopped! (approx 15 minutes). As soon as we got back in the car, there were so many vehicles passing us.

-Getting stopped at police checkpoints (and secretly wishing it was being taped for COPS: Suriname Edition).

-Stopping at Police Stations. Conversation went like this: Nicole: "Goededag. We're driving to Nickerie..." Police Officer: (Leans back and chuckles) "You went the wrong way. You should have gone right after the bridge." Nicole: "The bridge? The really big bridge? The bridge with the towers or the small, wood bridge?: PO: "The small one." Nicole: "The small one with WOOD?" PO: "Yes." Nicole: "Oh, okay. Dank U well."

-Seeing CATs and John Deere in Suriname, which oddly looks more like Indiana farm country.

-Meeting a Surinamese guy in NW Nickerie who lived in Brooklyn. This guy owns a diner that sells "American" food, including hot wings, fried chicken, hamburgers, and milkshakes.

-"Indian" Restaurants that really are just Javanese.

-Deceptive winkels.

-Cow crossings!!!!

-Nicole trying Roti one more time, but only to discover HOT, SPICY pepper in everything, including the bread!!! Uncanny.

-Young men finding it interesting that Nicole is taking pictures of a John Deere tractor, then asking for their photo to be taken, and recommending it be published in a porn book. Nicole's reply: "I'll stick in in a prayer book and pray for you instead!"

-Road to Nickerie took us through Jenny, Totness, Friendship, and Calcutta, Suriname.

-Lots of fruit stands and shacks, like on the way to Virginia! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment